After you apply to PTC, you’ll be assigned a financial aid planner who will answer your questions and offer as much support as you need. First time applying for financial aid? We’re specialists in making financial aid a lot less scary. At PTC, there are no long lines behind financial aid counters, no long waits to get the answers you need. Only personal attention, every time you need it.
We’re here to help. Call us at any time at 412-809-5100 to schedule your one-on-one financial aid appointment.
Start by obtaining a Federal Student Aid Identification (FSA ID) at: https://fsaid.ed.gov.
Several of the government forms require you to sign electronically with a FSA ID. If you follow the link to this government website you may create your FSA ID.
The process only takes a few minutes.
Once you create your FSA ID, it will be authenticated within 48 hours.
You will need this FSA ID to electronically sign your forms.
If you are a dependent student, both you and one parent must create a FSA ID. You and your parent must have different email addresses. If you are not sure if you are a dependent student, check this site: studentaid.ed.gov/fafsa/filling-out/dependency.
Complete the FAFSA at: https://fafsa.ed.gov.
The FAFSA form is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Once you create your FSA ID you will be able to electronically sign the FAFSA and loan applications.
Please note, the instructions below are for students starting school in the spring of 2019 who should complete the 2018-2019 FASFA. If you are starting school at another time, please call 412-809-5100 to ensure that you are using the correct form.
- Having your completed 2016 1040 and W2's handy will help with the FAFSA application process. Most of the income questions are found on the federal 1040 and W2's.
- If you are a dependent student, you will want to have both yours and your parent's 2016 federal tax return handy.
- PTC’s Federal School Code is 007437. You will need this to ensure that your FAFSA application is sent to PTC.
- The FAFSA application should take about 20 minutes.
- If you need to stop in the middle of the application, remember to SAVE your work.
Apply for State of Pennsylvania Financial Aid
Residents of the state of Pennsylvania have a number of financial aid opportunities through The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA). To apply for a state grant, link to the application directly from your FAFSA application prior to logging out of the FAFSA or go to www.aessuccess.org.
To learn more about grant opportunities visit http://www.pheaa.org. Some PHEAA grant options include:
Apply for Federal Direct Student/Parent Loans
There are a number of financial aid opportunities available to PTC students. After you have completed the FAFSA, the next step is to complete the Federal Direct Student Loan at: studentloans.gov and Parent Plus Loan. On this site you will find loan options, information on repayment plans, interest rates and other important information. Plan for about 10 minutes to complete these applications.
- Use your FSA ID to sign in to the site.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note forms.
- Select the subsidized/unsubsidized option.
- Use your FSA ID to sign in.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note form.
- Select Parent PLUS for undergraduate students.
Once you apply to PTC and complete the financial aid steps above, log in to your PTC Dashboard for financial aid updates, access stored documents, and to see messages from your financial aid planner.
Schedule a Financial Aid Appointment
If you have questions about any step in the financial aid process, remember, we are here to help. Just give us a call at 412-809-5100, and we will assist you. If you would like for a financial aid planner to contact you, please request an appointment using the form below.